Scary Mommy’s Guide to Feeding Kids for the First time (Sponsored)
So you’ve decided to bite the bullet and start feeding your baby solids — congratulations, and best of luck! Here are 10 tips for making this transition as painless as possible.
1. Make sure to have a pool-sized drop cloth on the floor. Sure, there’s not really a clean floor under there to protect, but no need to make it that much worse.
2. While you are at it, go ahead and get a few more to cover the walls, too. Pureed carrots leave interesting smears on pale ecru wall satin, but let’s confine the Picasso-isms to the high chair tray.
3. Put on your oldest, rattiest clothes and put your hair in a bun. Like that wasn’t already the case.
4. Strip your baby down to a diaper and bib. Naked babies are hungry babies. It’s, like, science.
5. Make sure there’s a stack of damp wash cloths within reach. Don’t even think of using baby wipes for this. They cost too much, and you’ll burn through at least two packs, easy.
6. You’ll need at least five baby spoons on hand, to make up for the ones that get dropped or knocked out of your hand. Or are the wrong color and thus poisonous in the mind of your child.
7. Secure your baby in a containment unit of some sort. You say “highchair,” they say “torture device.” Whatever.
8. Don’t feel like you have to wipe her mouth after every dribble. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
9. Be prepared to spray your baby off with with a water hose after the first few (hundred) meals. And the highchair. And the table. And the floor. And the walls.
10. Have a glass of wine and a nice, relaxing bath. You’ve freaking earned it!
This post has been sponsored by Beech-Nut Organics baby food, made for mothers just like us who dream of preparing beautiful purees for their baby … but if given the choice, would choose a nap instead. Beech-Nut Organics is inspired by homemade; every jar is made with nothing but real fruits and vegetables, no artificial stuff needed.
Beech-Nut Organics is giving away three months’ worth of baby food (in the form of physical coupons) to two Scary Mommy readers (woo-hoo!). To enter, just leave a comment below and winners will be picked at random at 12PM EST on June 15th.
This article was originally published on