Four days of school left and counting. How did this happen? No, seriously, how?! Wasn’t it just March? I swear it was…
With summer vacation practically upon us, I have put together a little Summer Survival Guide. These are my tried and true, I learned the hard way items to ensure that you all come out in one piece come September. I’d really miss you if you didn’t make it.
1. Popsicles and Ice cream. Someone once suggested to me to train kids to think the ice cream truck’s music means it is sold out of ice cream. It may be the best tip I’ve ever gotten from this blog. Be a hero with a stash of your own.
2. An inflatable pool. Visiting the pool is great, but it can also be a big pain in the ass. I love the cheap plastic one that sits in the front yard all summer. Classy, it is not, but it occupies the kids for hours and doesn’t require me to suffer in a swimsuit.
3. Water guns. I hate guns with a passion; I won’t buy my kids gun toys or let them play shooting games. but water guns are the exception. The bigger the better.
4. A library pass. Free + air conditioned = Heaven.
5. Arts & crafts projects. You can never have too many. Next time you are at the Dollar Store, stock up on everything you can find and stick it all in a big box. Save for a rainy, or otherwise miserable, day.
6. Sunglasses. I have no idea where all of out sunglasses disappear to, but they just seem to go the way of socks. This summer, I’m making sure to have plenty.
7. An indoor tent. A tent provides hours of fun for kids. On a sunny day, it gives shade and respite. On a rainy day, set it up inside and let the kids have a picnic in it. It was hands down the best investment I made last summer.
8. A mother’s helper. Babysitters are great, but expensive. Find an earnest ten year old in your neighborhood and pay her to play with your kids. Ten is the perfect age; they are hard working and eager to please, but won’t give you attitude or spend the whole time texting. Plus, if you snag them young, they will feel indebted to you for years to come. Or, so I hope.
9. Sunscreen. Nothing ruins a good time like a sunburn. I think the spray sunscreens are the best invention ever.
10. Sanity-savers for you. I’m partial to Sangria during the summer, but whatever floats your boat. You’ll need it…
Combine all ingredients below, and refrigerate for four hours or overnight.
- 1 bottle red Spanish wine
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 chopped pineapple
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 cup Sprite
Ignore the children and sip away. Cheers!