As nearly the entire world settled into a coronavirus quarantine, the 2010 Disney animated feature, Tangled, all of a sudden went viral on social media. Fans pointed out this modern retelling of the story of Princess Rapunzel and her yards and yards of golden hair was just a story of a girl quarantined in a tower for 16 years. And, holy shit, she lived in the fictional kingdom of Corona. What does it all mean?!?!?!??!
Um, legit nothing. Corona means “crown” and the story is at least 200 years old. But all this renewed attention did remind viewers of just how sweet, earnest, and funny Tangled really is. The story of a young woman coming into her own, venturing outside her childhood cocoon, and fighting for independence is inspiring. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s full of hilarious characters and lines on par with some of our favorite Disney quotes. So we’ve gone ahead and rounded up the most magical, sweet, and funny quotes to remind all of us that we can all make it out of the tower. All we need is a little strength. And maybe some epic hair conditioner.
1. “Let your power shine.” — Rapunzel
2. “I want to see the floating lights!” — Rapunzel
3. “I know not who you are, nor how I came to find you but may I just say…hi.” — Flynn Ryder
4. “This is just part of growing up, a little adventure, a little rebellion.” — Flynn Ryder
5. “I have magic hair that glows when I sing.” — Rapunzel
6. “Find your humanity! Haven’t any of you ever had a dream?”
7. “We‘re living happily ever after.” — Rapunzel
8. “Go live your dream.” — Hook Hand Thug
10. “Oh well. C‘est la vie.” — Mother Gothel
12. Rapunzel: “That’s the funny thing about birthdays, they’re kind of an annual thing.”
Mother Gothel: “No, no, no—can’t be. I distinctly remember, your birthday was last year.”
13. “And the thing is, I’m not scared anymore.” — Rupunzel
14. “You were right, mother. You were right about everything.” — Rupunzel
15. “No. You were wrong about the world, and you were wrong about me, and I will never let you use my hair again!” — Rapunzel
16. “No! I won’t stop. For every minute of the rest of my life I will fight. I will never stop trying to get away from you!” — Rupunzel
17. Flynn: “Alright, blondie.”
18. Mother Gothel: The world is dark, and selfish, and cruel. If it finds even the slightest ray of sunshine, it destroys it!
19. Flynn: “You were my new dream.”
Rapunzel: “And you were mine.”
20. Rapunzel: “Tomorrow night, the lights will appear
Just like they do on my birthday each year
What is it like out there where they glow?
Now that I’m older, mother might just let me go.”
21. Hook Hand Thug:
24. Hook Hand Thug: Go, live your dream.
29. “Flower, gleam and glow
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Change the Fates’ design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
Dear, this whole romance that you’ve invented
Just proves you’re too naive to be here
Why would he like you? Come on now, really!
Look at you, you think that he’s impressed?
Don’t be a dummy
Come with mummy” — Mother Gothel