Whatever your journey to motherhood, becoming a mother is an indescribable joy. It’s a discovery of yourself as much as it is of the precious babe now in your arms — a seemingly endless rising tide of love and tenderness that reveals a strength you never knew you had. And while a first-time mom’s experience is in a class of its own, every subsequent pregnancy or welcoming of a child is no less meaningful. Whether you adopt, use a surrogate, or carry your little one, that period of expecting a baby is exciting and full of hope, if not a little terrifying. Which is why so many literary giants and pop culture icons have dropped some famous expecting a baby quotes over the years.
If you’re looking for something meaningful to include in a baby shower card, want to wish an expectant mother on her upcoming joy, or are one yourself and want to take in the wisdom of others who came before you, we’ve gone ahead and done all the work for you, ahead.
1. “A new baby is like the beginning of all things—wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities.” — Eda J. Le Shan
2. “Making a decision to have a child—t’s momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.” — Elizabeth Stone
3. “A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years, and in your heart until the day you die.” — Mary Mason
4. “To be pregnant is to be vitally alive, thoroughly woman, and distressingly inhabited. Soul and spirit are stretched – along with body – making pregnancy a time of transition, growth, and profound beginnings.” – Anne Christian Buchanan
5. “Sometimes when you pick up your child you can feel the map of your own bones beneath your hands, or smell the scent of your skin in the nape of his neck. This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood – finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without.” – Jodi Picoult
6. “Everything grows rounder and wider and weirder, and I sit here in the middle of it all and wonder who in the world you will turn out to be.” – Carrie Fisher
7. “There are places in the heart you don’t even know exist until you love a child.” — Anne Lamott
8. “You never know how much your parents loved you until you have a child to love.” — Jennifer Hudson
9. “Just as there is no warning for childbirth, there is no preparation for the sight of a first child. There should be a song for women to sing at this moment, or a prayer to recite. But perhaps there is none because there are no words strong enough to name that moment.” — Anita Diamant
10. “Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; a mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” — Oliver Wendell Holmes
11. “Mothers and their children are in a category all their own. There’s no bond so strong in the entire world. No love so instantaneous and forgiving.” — Gail Tsukiyama
12. “There is nothing like a newborn baby to renew your spirit and to buttress your resolve to make the world a better place.” — Virginia Kelley
13. “A mother’s love endures through all.” — Washington Irving
14. “There are hard days in motherhood, but looking at your baby sleeping reminds you why it’s all worth it.” — Kara Ferwerda
15. “The life of a mother is the life of a child: you are two blossoms on a single branch.” —Karen Maezen Miller
16. “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow.” — Maya Angelou
17. “A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.” — Victor Hugo
18. “Grown don’t mean nothing to a mother. A child is a child. They get bigger, older, but grown. In my heart it don’t mean a thing.” – Toni Morrison
19. “A new baby is like the beginning of all things — wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities.” — Eda LeShan
20. “You are the closest I will ever come to magic.” — Suzanne Finnamore
21. “Having a baby is like falling in love again, both with your husband and your child.” — Tina Brown
22. “Babies are always more trouble than you thought — and more wonderful.” — Charles Osgood
Baby shower wishes and sentiments for the mama-to-be
23. May your home be filled with baby giggles and the pitter-patter of little feet.
24. Welcome to the world, little sweetness. We’ve all been waiting for you.
25. This special baby is already so lucky to have a mother like you.
26. Lots of love and blessings on your new bundle of joy.
27. My unsolicited baby advice: Swaddle, snuggle, and enjoy!
28. It’s such an honor watching your family grow. Wishing you endless happiness!
29. Congratulations! Now, when can the rest of us spoil your little charmer?