There’s a special camaraderie between Harry Potter fans that starts the minute you meet another Potterhead. What house are you in? Have you taken the patronus quiz on Pottermore? Has a wand picked you yet? The questions come fast and no matter the differences, they instantly bond you to that stranger. Unless, of course, that stranger is a Slytherin.
The whole wizarding world is so in depth and enchanting that Universal was actually able to build a theme park around it. There’s even a whole world of Harry Potter jokes out there. But, with depth comes minutia and with minutia comes the chance to confuse your facts. How well do you know the wizarding world? These Harry Potter trivia questions ought to sort the experts from those who are still on the first book. No matter how good or bad you do on these Harry Potter trivia questions, though, you know you have friends at Hogwarts and you’re in for a fun game night.
1. Name the four Hogwarts Houses.
Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin
2. What house is Harry Potter sorted into?
3. Why was Harry put into that house?
He asked to be put there.
4. What other house did Harry almost get sorted into?
3. How are students sorted into their houses?
By the Sorting Hat.
4. What is Harry’s position on the Quidditch team?
5. How does Harry get the lightning bolt scar on his forehead?
He got it as a baby, when Voldemort tried to kill him.
6. Who lives at 4 Privet Drive?
The Dursleys (and Harry, for a while)
7. Why does Snape protect Harry?
He was in love with his mother, Lily.
8. Where does Harry go to teach Dumbledore’s Army?
The Room of Requirement
9. What’s the name of the three-headed dog that guards the door to the Sorcerer’s Stone?
10. What keeps the three-headed dog asleep?
An enchanted music box.
11. Who does Scabbers the rat turn out to be?
12. Name all the Weasley children.
Ginny, Ron, Fred, George, Percy, Charlie, Bill
13. Who is the Half-Blood Prince?
14. How many staircases does Hogwarts have?
15. What does Felix Felicis do?
Gives the person who drinks it good luck for twelve hours
16. What are the three forbidden curses?
Avada Kadavra, Imperius, Crucio
17. What’s the name of the dance that takes place in Goblet of Fire?
The Yule Ball
18. What is a horcrux?
An object that contains part of someone’s soul.
19. Name all seven of Voldemort’s horcruxes:
Tom Riddle’s Diary, Nagini, Harry Potter, the guant ring, the Hufflepuff cup, Slytherin Locket, Ravenclaw diadem
20. How does you close the Marauder’s Map?
21. What does the map do?
Shows you the location and movement of everyone in Hogwarts.
22. What are the real names of the four marauders?
James Potter, Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew, Remus Lupin
23. How was Hermione able to take extra lessons?
24. What does the Sorting Hat list as two characteristics of most Ravenclaws?
Wit and learning
25. Where are the Slytherin common rooms located?
26. Where are the Hufflepuff common rooms?
Next to the kitchen
27. How does Harry catch his first snitch?
With his mouth
28. How many points do you get when you catch a snitch?
150, game over
29. What’s the name of Ginny’s Pygmy Puff?
30. What does it mean to be a parselmouth?
It means you speak parseltongue — You can speak to snakes
31. Why was being able to speak parseltongue especially troubling to Harry?
Voldemort was also a parselmouth.
32. What magical creature pulls students the carriages that take students from the Hogwarts Express to Hogwarts?
33. What are thestrals?
Invisible winged horses
34. What kind of dragon does Harry fight during the Tri-Wizard cup?
A Hungarian Horntail
35. What wizards are trained to catch dark wizards?
36. What sort of power do Dementors have?
They’re able to drain people of their happiness.
37. What does Prof. Lupin offer Harry to make him feel better when the Dementors try to attack him?
38. What does the Mirror of Erised do?
It shows a person their deepest desires.
39. What does Harry smell when he sniffs Amortentia?
40. Harry’s patronus is a stag. What other person also has a stag?
41. What is Hermione’s patronus?
42. What’s the name of Hagrid’s giant half-brother?
43. Which Hogwarts professor was rumored to be dueling champion as a student?
44. Who poses as Mad Eye Moody and teaches Defense Against the Dark Arts to Harry and his friends?
Barty Crouch, Jr.
45. Who is the seeker for the Bulgarian Quidditch team?
46. Why does Ron decide he hates Krum?
Krum takes Hermione to the dance.
47. How does Rita Skeeter learn secrets for her sensational articles?
She turns into a beetle and goes where she’s not allowed.
48. Why does Rita Skeeter eventually get in trouble?
She’s an unregistered Animagus.
49. Why was the Whomping Willow originally planted?
To help Remus Lupin escape Hogwarts when he needed to turn into a werewolf.
50. How do you free a house elf?
By giving them a piece of clothing.
51. Who said, “Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!”
52. Who goes on to become a professional quidditch player?
53. What does R.A.B. stand for?
Regulus Arcturus Black
54. What do Remus and Tonks name their son?
55. Who tells Harry he’s a wizard?
56. Who tells Harry he’s a horcrux?
57. Name one of Dumbledore’s middle names.
Brian (Literally, everyone says Brian. But, if you want the whole name, it’s: Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.)
58. On what day were the Weasley twins born?
April 1, April Fools Day.
59. What house did Tonks belong to?
60. What are the last three words in Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows?
“All was well.”
61. What is the name of Harry’s owl?
62. What about The Weasley’s Rat?
63. And what’s the name of Hermione’s cat?
64. What is Harry’s wand made of?
Holly, with a phoenix feather core
65. What is Honeydukes?
It is the candy store (“sweets shop”) in Hogsmeade Village.
66. Where does nearly every Hogwarts student go to get their wand?
67. What magical creation can people use to view other people’s saved memories? (Hint: There’s one in Dumbledore’s office.)
68. Who killed Dumbledore?
69. Which two people gift Harry with broomsticks for Quidditch?
McGonagall (The Nimbus 2000) and Sirius Black (The Firebolt)
70. Where does Arthur Weasley work?
The Ministry of Magic (Bonus point: What department: The Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Department)
71. How many presents did Dudley get on his 11th Birthday?
72. How is Bellatrix Lestrange related to Draco Malfoy?
She’s his aunt (his mother’s sister).