Ever heard of The Newlywed Game? It was a fantastically funny game show in the ’60s, ’70s, ’80s, and even into the ’90s (with a new format). It’s a show that seems to continue to resurface every decade. It’s just that entertaining. And since the novel coronavirus pandemic means we’re all spending a lot more time at home with our spouses lately, well, you might need just such a distraction. That’s precisely why we’ve pulled together a list of newlywed game questions. Why not put your downtime to good use by seeing just how well you know your partner? Bonus: You’ll be strengthening your relationship at the same time by uncovering interesting facts about each other.
But first, a refresher! The concept of The Newlywed Game was simple: Take three couples, separate the partners, and ask them questions. The questions were about their partners or relationships. Most times those questions were fairly G-rated, though sometimes the answers took a saucy turn. After they collected answers from one set of spouses, they’d compare them to the other spouses’ answers. Even couples who had been together for decades still fumbled and sometimes actual newlyweds did exceptionally well. It was the kind of semi-family-safe fun you’d expect from television. You know… before we started putting “sexy strangers” on an island and seeing what happens. (*secretly praying no one finds our Hulu viewing history*)
The television show may be over, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still play the game. This could be a ton of fun to play with a few close couple friends. The Newlywed Game could even be a unique spin on a bridal shower game to play. Of course, you could just play it with your partner — with no winners or losers and a pinky promise to be honest but gentle and walk away without holding grudges.
Best Newlywed Game Questions
These newlywed game questions will test your memory and your attention to detail. Just don’t let them test your bond.
Newlywed Game Questions About Dating Life
1. Describe your spouse on your first date.
2. What was your partner wearing on your first date? 3. Where did you go on your first date? 4. How did you meet your spouse? 5. What was your first impression of your partner? 6. When and where did you first kiss? 7. What was your worst date together? 8. What is your partner’s idea of the perfect date? 9. What did your spouse think about you after your first date? 10. What was it about your spouse that made you realize they were “the one”? 11. Who was your partner with last before they met you?
About the Proposal, Engagement, and Wedding
12. How did your partner tell you they were interested in marriage?
13. How did your partner coach you about ring shopping? 14. How did your/their family react to the news of your engagement? 15. When is your anniversary? 16. Who had more guests at the wedding? 17. How would you describe your partner’s emotions on the big day? 18. Who caught the bouquet/garter? 19. What kind of cake did you have? 20. Who chose the honeymoon?
About Big Moments
21. What did your partner get you for your first birthday together? Major holiday?
22. How did you celebrate your first anniversary? 23. When did you “seal the deal?” 24. What is the name of the song you first danced to together? 25. What was the first meal your partner cooked for you? (Bonus: Was it good?) 26. What was the first movie you watched together? First show you binged together? 27. When did you first say I love you? 28. Who farted in front of the other person first? 29. What was the biggest fight you had? 30. What’s the best vacation you’ve taken together?
About Life Together
31. Who does more chores?
32. Who’s the fixer? 33. Who runs up the water/electricity bill? 34. Who spends more money? 35. Who snores louder? 36. What is your favorite thing to do together? 37. What is your favorite thing for your partner to wear? 38. What frightens your partner? 39. Who’s most likely to check out a bump in the night? 40. What is your partner’s most annoying habit? 41. Is your spouse a good cook? 42. What are you nagged about the most often? 43. What’s the most obnoxious thing your partner does? 44. What chore does your partner hate most? 45. Which of you is a morning person? 46. Which of you is a night owl? 47. Who is the better driver? 48. Who is the better tipper? 49. Who has a better family?
About Life With Kids
50. Who changed the most diapers?
51. Who slept the least? 52. Who taught your child their first curse word? 53. Who was most nervous about parenting? 54. Who handles the puke? The blood? 55. Who’s the fun parent?
Newlywed Game Questions About Everything Else
56. What color are your partner’s eyes?
57. What is your spouse’s Starbucks order? 58. How does your partner take their tea/coffee/eggs? 59. How many shoes does your partner own? 60. What is your partner’s favorite color? 61. Where would your spouse go on an ideal vacation? 62. What does your partner like least/most about their physical appearance? Their personality? 63. If your spouse could have unlimited access to any store, which would it be? 64. What is your spouse’s favorite comfort food? 65. If you could take over one household chore for your spouse forever, what would they want you to do? 66. During which of the four seasons will your spouse say they first fell in love with you? 67. What’s your spouse’s most-repeated sentence or phrase? 68. If your house was on fire, what’s one thing your spouse would grab before leaving? 69. What type of student was your spouse in high school — a class clown, teacher’s pet, or quiet in the corner? 70. What did you plan for your first Christmas together? 71. What’s an adjective that describes your spouse’s family best? 72. Does your partner prefer you with short hair, long hair, or it doesn’t matter at all? 73. Who’s a pushover when it comes to the kids? 74. Who usually apologizes first? 75. Who would your spouse say is the “better catch”? 76. Your spouse has the day off and an empty house. How does your spouse spend the day? 77. What is the weirdest birthday gift your spouse has ever given you? 78. Your spouse takes your hand and pulls you to the dance floor. They say that the DJ is playing your song. What song is it? 79. What would your partner say is his biggest pet peeve? 80. Between the two of you, who will your spouse say is the bigger packrat?
This article was originally published on