Is there any more classic symbol of childhood than the teddy bear? Chances are nearly all of us cuddled with a plush bear at one point or another, and there’s an even better chance that special toy sported an equally special name. Coming up with the perfect bear name for a teddy is practically a rite of passage growing up. But choosing the right moniker is never easy, so if your little one needs some help, we’ve come up with some fun ideas for bear names from pop culture, as well as some evergreen favorites that any toy bear would be happy to go by.
But bear names are not limited to stuffed animals. If you or your child is writing a story featuring a bear, you might be looking for a suitably strong moniker to go along with such a bold character. Additionally, there are plenty of unique names that mean “bear” that are perfect for babies, too. That’s the beauty of bears (and their names) — they’re versatile creatures.
From Native American culture to mythology, few cultures don’t assign some sort of significance to bears. The beautiful creatures are often associated with strength, courage, and family, among other things. Meanwhile, in popular culture, bears have become an integral part of early childhood thanks to characters like Winnie the Pooh and Paddington Bear.
As for the teddy bear, the classic toy dates back to 1902 when President Theodore Roosevelt refused to shoot a black bear that someone had tied to a tree. His actions led a candy store owner named Morris Michtom and his wife Rose to turn the incident into a brilliant merchandising opportunity by selling Teddy’s bears — stuffed bears that honored Roosevelt’s honorable act. Since then, teddy bears have become a childhood staple, as has the grand tradition of picking out the perfect name for the special stuffed bear (or cute cub) in your life.
Whether you’re looking for a name for your little one’s new favorite toy or are simply fascinated by the many bears featured in popular culture, the list below is full of fierce and cuddly bear names alike that are sure to inspire you.
Boy Names That Mean Bear
1. Adalbern: Noble bear.
2. Armel: Bear prince. 3. Arthur: Bear in Celtic. 4. Barrett: Bear strength. 5. Bjorn: Bear. 6. Espen: God bear. 7. Gerben: Spear bear. 8. Humbert: Splendid bear. 9. Oberon: Noble bear. 10. Orson: Bear cub. 11. Torben: Thunder bear. 12. Vernados: Bear’s courage.
Girl Names That Mean Bear
1. Artis: Bear.
2. Armelle: Bear chief. 3. Benate: Brave as a bear. 4. Berne: Bold as a bear. 5. Calysta: She-bear. 6. Eden: Blessed bear. 7. Koda: Little bear. 8. Orsa: Little she-bear. 9. Ursel: Female bear. 10. Ursula: Little bear.
Famous Bears in Pop Culture
1. Aloysius: Lord Sebastian Flyte’s teddy bear in Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.
2. Baloo: A character from Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book. 3. Barney Bear: A famous character from Looney Tunes. 4. Beorn: A character from The Hobbit who can turn himself into a bear. 5. The Berenstain Bears: A family of bears from a collection of books written by Jan and Stan Berenstain. 6. Bobo: Mr. Burns’ teddy bear on The Simpsons. 7. Boo-Boo: The best friend of cartoon bear Yogi. 8. Care Bears: Colorful toy bears with names like Wish Bear, Tenderheart Bear, and Share Bear. 9. Cindy Bear: A character in the Yogi Bear cartoon. 10. Fozzie Bear: One of the Muppets. 11. Freddy Fazbear: Animatronic bear from the popular game Five Nights at Freddy’s. 12. Gentle Ben: A loving black bear from the titular 1967 TV series. 13. Grizzly/Grizz: One of the characters in the animated series We Bare Bears. 14. The Gummi Bears: Characters from the 1985 cartoon; names include Sunni Gummi, Tummi Gummi, and Zummi Gummi. 15. Ice Bear: One of the characters in the animated series We Bare Bears. 16. Iorek Byrnison: The fierce armored bear from Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy. 17. Kenai: The protagonist of the Disney film Brother Bear. 18. Little John: A character from Disney’s animated Robin Hood film. 19. Lots-o’-Huggin’ Bear/Lotso: The antagonist of Toy Story 3. 20. Paddington Bear: A marmalade loving bear from Michael Bond’s 1958 story A Bear Called Paddington. 21. Panda: One of the characters from the animated series We Bare Bears. 22. Po: The primary character in Kung Fu Panda. 23. Radar: Big Bird’s teddy bear’s name. 24. Rupert Bear: The title character in an animated series that ran from 1991-1997. 25. Smokey Bear: A famous advertising icon for the U.S. Forest Service. 26. Ted: The profane, talking bear in the 2012 film Ted starring Mark Wahlberg. 27. Teddy Ruxpin: A toy bear that tells children stories. 28. Winnie the Pooh: Created by A.A. Milne, Pooh is now a popular Disney character. 29. Yogi Bear: A picnic-basket stealing cartoon bear.
Teddy Bear Names
2. Baby Bear 3. Bear 4. Beary 5. Beary Potter 6. Beatrice 7. Brownie 8. Buddy 9. Chocolate 10. Fluffy 11. Fuzzy 12. Fuzzy Wuzzy 13. Goldie 14. Grizzly 15. Gummy Bear 16. Harry 17. Honey 18. Hugsy 19. Koala 20. Lucky 21. Mr./Mrs. Bear 22. Nandi 23. Panda 24. Paws 25. Polar 26. Princess Bear 27. Stuffy 28. Sunny 29. Ted 30. Teddy
Care Bear Names
One of the few things cuter than a teddy bear is a Care Bear. So if your little one has one or even a colorful teddy, these Care Bear names are perfect for their stuffed companion.
1. Bedtime Bear
2. Birthday Bear 3. Cheer Bear 4. Friend Bear 5. Funshine Bear 6. Good Luck Bear 7. Grumpy Bear 8. Love-a-lot Bear 9. Tenderheart Bear 10. Wish Bear
This article was originally published on