There’s nothing like getting wrapped up in a game of football with friends. While having a competitive streak is great, players rarely finish a game without a smile. Know what’s more fun than playing a sport? Hearing a great sports joke! So if you’re looking for something just as joyful and belly-busting, you’ve come to the right page.
Jocks may get a bad rep for not being humorless but a quick look at the jokes from any given popular sport and you’ll soon realize that can’t possibly be true! From witty fan banter to classic one-liners for kids, these jokes and puns run circles around every other list of sports jokes. Grab an orange slice and settle in for the best football, baseball, basketball, soccer, and hockey jokes out there.
1. Why does a pitcher raise one leg when he throws the ball?
If he raises them both, he’d fall down.
2. Where do they keep the largest diamond in New York City?
3. A man leaves home, makes three left turns, and is on his way back home when he notices two men in masks waiting for him.
They’re the catcher and umpire.
4. Why did the Braves hire a baker?
They needed a new batter.
5. What goes all the way around the baseball field but never moves?
6. What’s the difference between a pickpocket and an umpire?
One steals watches and one watches steals.
7. When should baseball players where armor?
When they’re playing knight games.
8. What did the baseball glove say to the ball?
“Catch ya later!”
9. Where do catchers sit at lunch?
Behind the plate.
10. Why is Yankee Stadium the coolest place to be?
It’s full of fans.
11. Why is it so hot at a Phillies game?
Because they don’t have many fans.
12. Did you hear? Detroit is building a new stadium at an undisclosed location.
They’re keeping it a secret because they’re afraid the Tigers might find out and try to play there.
13. Did you hear the joke about the pop fly?
Forget it. It’s way over your head.
14. What are the rules for zebra baseball?
Three stripes and you’re out.
15. I kept wondering why the baseball was getting bigger.
Then it hit me.
16. An apartment building is on fire and a woman screams out the window for help.
“Just jump out the window,” a man yells. “I’m a baseball player. I can catch you.” “Wait,” she says. “What team do you play for?” “The Cincinnati Reds,” shouts the man. “Ehhhh,” shrugs the woman. “I’ll take my chances with the fire.”
17. Why are some umpires chubby?
It’s their job to clean their plates.
18. What does a baseball player do when he starts losing his eyesight?
He becomes an umpire.
19. Where do you keep your mitt while driving?
In the glove compartment.
20. Which baseball player holds water?
21. Why are baseball games at night?
The bats sleep during the day.
22. What is the difference between Yankee fans and dentists?
One roots for the yanks, and the other yanks for the roots.
23. What has 18 legs and catches flies?
A baseball team.
24. I love the fall. It gives me a chance to sit at home and watch the World Series.
Just like the Dodgers.
25. How do baseball players keep in touch?
They touch base every once in a while.
More Funny Sports Jokes…
26. Why are basketball players such messy eaters?
They’re always dribbling.
27. Why can’t basketball players go on vacation?
They aren’t allowed to travel.
28. What do you call a player that constantly misses slam dunks?
29. Why doesn’t Albany have a professional basketball team?
Because then New York City would want one, too.
30. Which fast-food chain is most likely to win a basketball tournament?
31. What do you call the basketball play where you drink too much and then score?
32. Why doesn’t the basketball team have a website?
They can’t string together three Ws.
33. What do prison guards, and basketball guards have in common?
They’re both supposed to protect you.
34. If a basketball player gets athlete’s foot, what’s an astronaut get?
35. What’s Prince Charles’ favorite American basketball team?
36. Why was the basketball player sitting on the sidelines drawing chickens?
Coach told her to learn how to draw fouls.
37. What does a basketball player do once he loses his sight?
Become a referee.
38. What do you call twelve millionaires gathered around the TV to watch the NBA Finals?
The Detroit Pistons.
39. Why do basketball players like cookies?
It’s just another excuse to dunk.
40. Why was Cinderella kicked off the basketball team?
She ran away from the ball.
41. I’m thinking of creating a fantasy show about basketball.
I’ll call it Hoopernatural.
42. What do you call a monkey who wins back-to-back titles?
43. What do you call a basketball-playing shark?
44. Why did the fish refuse to play basketball?
He was afraid of the net.
45. What’s the difference between Kobe Bryant and time?
Time actually passes.
46. Why are frogs so good at basketball?
They always make the jump shots.
47. Why did the football coach go to the bank?
To get his quarter back.
48. What do you call a Cleveland Browns QB at the Super Bowl?
49. What’s a golfer’s favorite letter?
50. What do you call a football play with long legs who builds houses?
51. How many Chicago Bears does it take to win a Super Bowl?
One. Walter Payton. But he’s retired.
52. What do football players wear for Halloween?
53. What kind of tea do football players drink?
54. Why do football players like smart women?
55. What do you get when you cross a running back and the Invisible Man?
Scoring like no one has ever seen.
56. Who played in the pirate Super Bowl?
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Seattle Seahawks.
57. Why couldn’t the all-star football player listen to any music?
He broke all the records.
58. What do you call a person who walks back and forth screaming one minute then sits down and starts crying the next?
A football coach.
59. How do you spot a Tennessee fan at a wedding?
Look for the guy in the orange t-shirt.
Even More Sports Jokes…
60. How are scrambled eggs and football teams the same?
They’ve both been beaten.
61. Why was the tiny ghost asked to join the football team?
They needed a little team spirit.
62. Which football player wears the biggest helmet?
The one with the biggest head.
63. Why did the poor QB have his receivers cross at mid-field?
He was trying to make ends meet.
64. Where do football players go when they need new uniforms?
65. What’s harder to catch the faster you run?
66. Why couldn’t the defensive end pass any of his tests?
He was a tackling dummy.
67. What do you get when you cross a quarterback with a carpet?
A throw rug.
68. A man takes his five-year-old son to his first football game.
They had great seats right behind their team’s bench.
69. After the game, he asked her how she liked the experience.
“Oh, I really liked it,” he replied, “especially the uniforms and all the big muscles, but I just couldn’t understand why they were killing each other over 25 cents.”
70. How did America steal the name for football?
They grabbed it and ran.
71. How do football players deal with their problems?
They tackle them head on.
You Guessed It! More Hilarious Sports Jokes
72. What does a hockey play and a magician have in common?
They both do hat tricks.
73. Why did the boy climb up the tree with a hockey stick
Cause he wanted to join the maple leafs.
74. Why are hockey rinks rounded?
Because if they were 90 degrees, the ice would melt.
75. Why do hipsters love field hockey?
Because it’s ice hockey before it gets cool.
76. What did the skeleton drive to the hockey game?
77. Hockey players are known for their summer teeth.
Summer here, summer there.
78. Where does a majority of a hockey player’s salary come from?
The tooth fairy.
79. Why do the Germans always get beat by the Canadians in hockey?
Canadians bring the “eh” game, while Germans bring their wurst.
80. What do you give a hockey player when he demands to be paid?
81. Hockey players are like goldfish.
Just tap on the glass to get their attention.
82. My friend and I visited Canada together for the first time.
We went to a fight, and a hockey game broke out.
83. Why are hockey players so good at making friends?
They’re quick to break the ice.
84. What’s the difference between hockey and wrestling?
In hockey, the fights are real.
85. How do hockey players kiss?
They pucker up.
86. How many teeth does a hockey player have?
Don’t you mean tooth?
87. Why didn’t Jesus play hockey?
Because soccer and baseball are much more popular in Mexico.
88. What’s the difference between basketball players and soccer players?
Basketball players get actual injuries.
89. Why couldn’t anyone see the soccer ball?
The defense cleared it.
90. Soccer is surprisingly relevant to my life.
Just consider the lack of goals.
91. Why don’t grasshoppers watch soccer?
They watch cricket, instead.
92. What did Santa bring the naughty soccer player?
93. What’s the difference between England and a tea bag?
The tea bag stays in the cup longer.
94. What happens when a dinosaur gets a goal?
95. What do you call an Englishman in the knockout stages of the World Cup?
96. What’s a ghost’s favorite soccer position?
97. Which soccer player keeps the field nice and tidy?
98. Why are soccer players excellent at math?
They know how to use their heads.
99. What do soccer referees send during the holidays?
100. What lights up a soccer stadium?
A soccer match.
101. Two soccer teams play a game against each other. The home team wins, but not a single man from either team scored a goal. How can this be?
They were women’s teams.
102. Why did the soccer player bring string to the game?
He wanted to tie things up.
103. Which goalie can jump higher than the crossbars?
All of them. Crossbars can’t jump.
104. Why can’t you play soccer in the jungle?
There are too many cheetahs!
105. Why is bad soccer like an old bra?
Neither provide padding or support.
106. Which soccer player wears the biggest cleats?
The one with the biggest feet.
107. Why did the soccer ball quit the team?
He was tired of being kicked around.
108. What position do ghosts play in soccer?
More Funnies About Sports
110. Did you hear about the referee that got fired from the NBA?
Supposedly he’s a whistleblower.
111. Why did people in the NBA think Michael Jordan was conceited?
Because he was always putting on Airs.
112. I’ve got a great idea for a NBA themed fast-food restaurant.
113. Why was the basketball court wet?
Because people were dribbling on it!
114. Why did the golfer wear two pairs of pants?
In case, he got a hole in one!
115. What did the lacrosse stick say to the ball?
“Catch ya later.”
116. Why did the basketball player go to jail?
Because he shot the ball.
117. What would you call the world’s greatest hockey player if he’d decided not to play hockey?
118. I watched hockey before it was cool.
It was swimming. I watched swimming.
119. Putin scored eight goals in the exhibition game due to his being an excellent slap shot.
If you don’t let him score, he slaps and then shoots you.
120. Why did the refs stop play in the Washington Capitals game?
121. Why would you argue with a ref?
I have never seen a ref say, “Dang, you’re right! Let me just take back this yellow card.”
122. Why does someone who runs marathons make a good student?
Because education pays off in the long run!
This article was originally published on